3/24/2012

The food of Spain and my trip to Madrid


Plaza Mayor early in the morning!

Plaza Mayor
Arriving at 5:45 at Madrid's main bus station in my black boots and leather jacket I looked like a little homeless with no idea of belonging. I don't drink coffee normally, but at that point it felt like a lifesaver. I realized that the bistro was instantly full as soon as it opened and bustling with churros and sweet pastries. Nothing special for the price, but it is definitely enough for people who spend their whole night at a freezing bust station.


If I count the km I walked in my high heel boots with all my luggage that day no one would probably believe me, but how can you just go to a hotel and stay there when you are in a city of amazing food such as Madrid. It didn't take me much time to find The Ritz or the most famous galleries. Oh, The Ritz! The name that makes every hotelier go dreamy and reflect on old style glamour times full of tradition. The sun reflecting on the walls of this iconic building made me turn around and look for one of the most amazing food markets.

Mercado de San Miguel in the heart of Madrid is a real foodie's heaven. This heaven starts with assortment of nuts, pastry and cheese displays, continues with specialized olive and jamon serrano stands and ends with little tapas bars. It is the most amusing and interesting, and in a way also peaceful, mayhem that activates every single synapse in your body.

Museum of Jamón
Walking around in my high heel boots and with my camera ready in hand brought me to some amazing places and I tested freshly toasted salted sunflower seeds (would be perfect for salads and as edible garnish). I might get inspired on some future recipes. The Museum of Jamón is also very interesting even though very touristic nowadays. 

Toasted sunflower seeds
It was just one of those days when everything seems bright and you know why life is worht living. I appreciate every single moment, however trip to Madrid just seemed that one bit extra special. The conclusion came. A visit to Pan de Lujo. Even though we didn't manage to make a reservation and there were no extra places I asked them if we could come just for a dessert.

Pan de Lujo and the amazing apple tart dessert!
Oh, I just love the atmosphere and food of this place. The waiters know what they are doing, the wine display with changing color lights is just inspiring and the different breads are delicious (fruit and nuts is my personal favorite). It is modern and refreshing and at the same time relaxing. It has this effect of an asian spa which fuses life with calm relaxation. I had a dessert that I took there last year and that I absolutely fell in love with. How couldn't I? Apple and vanilla ice cream combination is just wonderful! 

0 komentářů:

Post a Comment

 

TRAVEL and COOK Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger